Tuesday 29 March 2011

5K hard

My left hip was giving me some problems during the day but seemed OK again by the evening. I misunderstood the club's planned session and discovered on the night that the timed run was actually a straight 5K rather than an out-and-back. Coming off a 60-mile week and with a dubious hip (not to mention a race coming up at the weekend) I could have done without it but thought I would give it a go, perhaps not at maximum effort. After a 0.61-mile warm-up we assembled behind the pavilion. The route took us down to the Kelvin, out through the top gate, along Temple Road and Dalsholm Road and back in through the main gate and clockwise around the warm-up trail. Alistair stayed right on my shoulder all the way around before pulling away on the warm-up trail while I coasted in, picking it up slightly near the end to finish inside 18 minutes. Afterwards we ran a 0.58-mile warm-down. My time for the 5K was 17:56 for a 5:46/mile average, HR 174.

Pace splits (ave. HR): 5:48 (165), 5:41 (182), 5:51 (176), 5:46 (173)
HR zones: 2.0%, 0.7%, 0.6%, 78.7%, 18.0%

No comments: