Saturday 19 March 2011

Dunky Wright 5K, 1.9 miles slow, 3.5 miles easy

As I was getting my racing things together in the morning I discovered the battery in my Nike Triax sports watch had died. It took a couple of days to have it replaced last time so I popped out to buy a battery so I could try changing it myself. After half an hour, with the watch still in bits, I gave up and took the Garmin with me instead, although I didn't bother with the chest strap. Wore the Asics Piranha for the race and made sure I tied them tightly. I felt vaguely nauseous before registering but improved as I jogged over to the Business Park where there was a small Garscube contingent. I lined up near the front and was about 30 places back after 500m, when I noticed from the Garmin that we were running faster than 5:00/mile. I eased off very slightly but held my position. On the second lap of the Business Park I was just about hanging onto the chasing pack, and there was enough of a gap behind me for a car to turn out of a side road. There was a headwind as we headed westwards out of the Business Park and I could tell my pace was suffering slightly, but I began to pick up the odd place here and there, going past Claire Gibson at about 3K and gradually making up ground on Paul Thompson. I overtook Paul inside the last half mile or so as we headed along the canal to the finish, but only managed to hold him off for a few hundred metres. On account of the fast start I couldn't muster any kind of sprint finish and was also overtaken by Claire Gibson, although as she ran in the Commonwealth Games I wasn't unduly concerned. I finished 22nd overall (first Garscube finisher) and 3rd M40 although there wasn't a prize for this. Time was 16:43 which was 3 seconds up on the Bella 5K last August and my fastest 5K as an M40. The GPS trace came out at 3.08 miles but I managed to make it up to 3.11 later on by restoring the corners and curves where the Garmin had cut them. Afterwards I jogged along the canal for a warm-down with Lindsay. The Asics Piranha were just about OK for the distance but if the race had been any longer I would probably have sustained some blisters.

3.11 miles in 16:43, average pace 5:23/mile
Pace splits: 5:16, 5:32, 5:22, 5:16

1.94 miles in 17:13, average pace 8:52/mile
Pace splits: 8:48, 8:58

After getting home I went out for a longer recovery loop of Garrioch Road and Napiershall Street. Later on in the evening I managed to get the Nike watch working again.

3.54 miles in 27:15, average pace 7:41/mile, HR 148
Pace splits (ave. HR): 7:58 (139), 7:36 (149), 7:35 (152), 7:32 (155)
HR zones: 1.4%, 10.9%, 85.6%, 2.1%, 0%

No comments: