Monday 2 January 2012

Hogmanay Handicap, 4.1 miles easy

This year's Jack Shirley Hogmanay Handicap was run in reasonably dry and slightly windy conditions. Went for the Asics Hyperspeed 4. I had been given an excessively generous handicap and consequently missed my start time, so was set off from scratch with Marc and Marco. I had a few stomach problems but there were no changing facilities so I just had to manage with them. The first half mile along Auchenhowie Road was brutal with each one of us holding the lead (or indeed third-last place) for a while. I went through the first mile somewhere inside 5:20, in second place with Marc gradually pulling away. The early pace didn't seem to do any damage but after struggling up Dowan Road I couldn't pick up the pace at all. Caught up with a few backmarkers just before Baldernock Road and after climbing the next long hill I could hear Marco talking to somebody maybe 20 seconds behind me. At the bottom of the hill, I took the footbridge beside the ford as I knew the Hyperspeed would get soaked otherwise. Finished in 23:45, second fastest time of the day, with both Marco and Paul closing in on the final stretch. Average pace was 5:52/mile for 4.05 miles. Reasonably satisfied to finish inside 24 minutes but I didn't feel like I'd put in as much effort as I could have, just couldn't seem to move any faster.

In the afternoon I went for an easy loop of Garrioch Road, Cleveden Drive and Napiershall Street. 4.07 miles in 30:13, average pace 7:25/mile, HR 140.

Pace splits (ave. HR): 7:39 (134), 7:28 (139), 7:20 (143), 7:13 (142)
HR zones: 2.4%, 46.3%, 51.3%, 0%, 0%

No comments: