Sunday 29 January 2012

SVHC Relays, 7 miles easy

Took a couple of days off after Thursday to see if I could recover in time for the SVHC Relays at Strathclyde Park. I wasn't sure if I'd blown up or sustained a hamstring or hip injury, but I felt decidedly better by Sunday morning. Of the A team I had expected us to put out, I was the only one to turn up. Competition looked stiffer than in previous years so I doubt we'd have been challenging anyway. I was originally on the first leg but happily agreed to a swap for the second leg, which suited me better as I had more preparation time. Had a quick look at the path around the loch and decided it was too wet for the Hyperspeed 4, so I went with the adiZero Tempo instead. It was about 3°C, more or less warm enough to go with vest and shorts. Set off at a brisk but comfortable pace, in 19th place in the men's race, gradually reeling in the figures in the distance. There was a chilly headwind on the other side of the loch which impeded my progress slightly, and after making up 8 places I didn't quite manage to chase down a Bellahouston Harrier before the handover as I had no finishing kick, probably on account of cold legs and recent high mileage. Finished in 20:25 for what seems to be 3.71 miles, average pace 5:30/mile. I was 5th fastest on the 2nd leg, 21st fastest overall. We were 8th after the 3rd leg but ended up 15th - could have been 11th if the teams had been arranged optimally. Jogged about a mile afterwards to warm down.

In the afternoon I ran an easy loop of Garscube Estate and North Woodside Road. 6.97 miles in 52:02, average pace 7:28/mile, HR 136.

Pace splits (ave. HR): 7:52 (127), 7:38 (133), 7:19 (135), 7:44 (135), 7:16 (137), 7:17 (144), 7:09 (142)
HR zones: 2.2%, 68.2%, 29.6%, 0%, 0%
Weekly total: 54 miles

No comments: