Saturday 3 December 2011

Glasgow University 5 Mile Road Race

This race usually takes place in early November but had been pushed back a few weeks for some reason, and the weather was fairly awful with intermittent freezing rain. It wasn't a particularly big target race for me so I ran it mainly to sharpen up. I would have gone with the Skechers GOrun but for the threat of rain, so I gave the adiZero Tempo what is probably a final outing, although after going on a half-mile warm-up to check that the top gate was open, I ended up with wet feet anyway.

I got off to a fairly quick start and reckoned I was just outside the top 10 early on, trying to keep up with a runner from Pitreavie who I thought was likely to finish in roughly the same time if I had been completely fit. I noticed I couldn't feel my toes any more after about 5 minutes, and numbness gradually spread to the ball of my right foot during the second lap, after we had been caught in a rain shower. I was still going past the Pitreavie runner on the uphills and being passed again on the downhills, at least as far as Switchback Road the second time around. Towards the end of Temple Road I was passed by Euan G and my legs were too heavy to try to hang on. Ended up 17th overall, 2nd for Garscube and just behind the winning lady, in 28:55. This was my slowest time in years (possibly ever) but I was pleased enough to beat 29 minutes in the conditions. Average pace: 5:47/mile.

No comments: