Sunday 18 December 2011

Santa Race, 4 miles easy

There was still some snow around on the day of the club's Christmas handicap race so I took my spikes, trail shoes and racing flats with me to Westerton. The roads looked fairly clear while we were driving there so I decided to go with the Asics Hyperspeed 4, although while we were getting changed I noticed quite a few people were wearing Yaktrax. Of the 16 who turned up, I was off last and set off at race pace. I had pinned the Santa cloak shut and it seemed to be interfering with my stride length to begin with. It was a mile before I spotted anyone in the distance and a further half mile before I moved out of last place, just as we turned back off Switchback Road, and I steadily picked my way up the field. With the tail-enders from the kids' race being chaperoned by adults, I wasn't sure how many people ahead of me on Maxwell Avenue were actually in the senior race, and I crossed the line to discover that the only finisher ahead of me was Murray, who had intentionally disqualified himself by setting off a few minutes early so he could make a quick getaway. 3.00 miles in 16:54, average pace 5:38/mile.

Later in the afternoon I ran an easy loop of Shakespeare Street, Cleveden Drive and Napiershall Street, starting and finishing at the same point on Grovepark Street due to icy conditions. 4.02 miles in 30:09, average pace 7:30/mile, HR 140.

Pace splits (ave. HR): 8:12 (134), 7:27 (136), 7:24 (143), 6:58 (149)
HR zones: 1.2%, 50.0%, 48.8%, 0%, 0%
Weekly total: 44 miles

No comments: