Thursday 7 January 2010

6.9 miles moderate

With the club training session in doubt, I went out in the evening for a steady run along my old 7-mile route in what seemed to be the lowest temperatures so far, aiming for somewhere under 7:00/mile. My left heel was sore for the first couple of miles, so I resolved to tackle what was obviously PF when I got home, before it got any worse. The left hip, both hamstrings and even both quads played up at various times, possibly triggered by the cold - I noticed the Kelvin was partly frozen over in Garscube Estate. I was wearing the usual running tights, long-sleeved top and t-shirt which struck a reasonable balance between freezing and overheating, but some passers-by evidently thought I was underdressed. Got stuck for a bit at the junction of Great Western Road and Cleveden Road, but I finished what came out at 6.93 miles in 47:44, 6:54/mile average. Pace splits: 7:11, 6:51, 6:39, 7:01, 6:47, 6:58, 6:47.

2 comments:

runperryrun said...

Good run. If you want to get rid of PF get a bucket of cold water throw in 20-30 ice-cubes and sink the foot in for 15 minutes. This works for me. I do it after the run and one more time during the day.

Stephen Mulrine said...

Thanks for the tip. I used a splint made from a football sock (basically a DIY Strassburg Sock) which I wore overnight. This worked for me a few years back and made an immediate difference this time as well - no heel or achilles pain on getting out of bed and walking around, for the first time in several weeks.