Sunday 30 December 2012

Hogmanay Handicap, 3.2 miles slow

My foot pain had disappeared by the morning of the Jack Shirley Hogmanay Handicap so I went with the adiPure Gazelle. It was raining heavily on and off so I sat in the car for as long as possible, and as luck would have it the rain went off, so I arrived at the start perfectly dry. The course had been shortened this year to avoid having to cross Auchenhowie Road. I was off scratch with Alastair, and we set off at a brisk pace, with me eventually leading the way by no more than a couple of metres. I increased my lead slightly going up Dowan Road before pulling away altogether on the first long downhill. I eventually saw some other runners in front but didn't catch anyone until the climb up Baldernock Road. At this point I seemed to be moving quite slowly but I couldn't hear anyone behind me. I had to take the footbridge beside the ford but otherwise there was no problem with surface water, and there was far less flooding further along the road than I had been expecting. I built up some speed on the final steep downhill and as I passed more runners, I had to run on the road to avoid bottlenecks near cars parked on the pavement. There were already about a dozen runners at the finishing line when I arrived. Time was a new course record (for the new course!) of 22:05 for 3.83 miles, average pace 5:46/mile, and not the unlikely 21:12 reported in the Herald the following day.

Pace splits: 5:29, 5:55, 6:16, 5:13

Later on I ran an easy loop of Kilmardinny Avenue, Manse Road and Canniesburn Toll from Bearsden Asda, this time wearing the Lunarglide Shield. 3.23 miles in 26:15, average pace 8:08/mile.

Pace splits: 8:34, 8:09, 7:45, 7:53
Weekly total: 36 miles

No comments: