Saturday 20 October 2012

Dunbartonshire XC Relays

This year's race was at Posties Park in Dumbarton, the same venue as last year's Dunbartonshire Championships. The course was a single loop, three of which last year had added up to around 6 miles, so it was clearly going to be short of the advertised 2.5 miles. Conditions were pretty decent. I had been suffering from hip problems for the latter half of the week but thought I should be OK with no warm-up, and was on the first leg for our Vets' team, although I reckoned I would have merited a place in the A team outright based on performances so far this season, especially on a short and not particularly heavy course.

I set off fast and was relieved not to notice any hip pain at all. I found myself somewhere towards the back of the first ten, and tried to keep in touch with the younger competitors immediately in front of me. The course had changed slightly at the top of the park, where I had fallen last year, replacing an awkward turn onto the path and back off again with an odd descent down a few steps. Towards the end of the lap, I realised the runner in front was not the same one I had been behind earlier and was obviously slowing up, but the leg was over too quickly. I finished in 11:17 for no more than 2 miles, making me 3rd fastest Vet on the day and 4th fastest for Garscube. It turned out later that there was no Vets' team prize, so I had been denied a place in our winning A team for no reason.

Weekly total: 22 miles

No comments: